WHAT IS THE DUOLINGO ENGLISH TEST?
To initiate, Duolingo test is an online test that attempted on personal computers, provided that nobody else is in the room. This test like other traditional English language proficiency tests analyses your skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
It does not only focus on academic and workplace but for various applications of several professional fields as well. It is cheaper to take this English test having $49 fees. Also, no additional charge is asked for additional score reports. Moreover, the exam lasts for an hour maximum. This means it is much shorter in time as compared to three hours exams like IELTS, PTE and TOEFL, thus making it convenient for those candidates who are unable to get their desired score in their traditional language assessment tests.
WHAT IS THE TEST LIKE?
- Performance on test determines what questions you’ll get for Writing Sample prompts and video interview. The DET is divided into three sections:
- Quick Setup – An introduction of 10 minutes breaking down the requirements and rules put in place by Duolingo. It is not graded.
- Adaptive Questions – It is the graded part of Duolingo English Test where your abilities for listening, speaking, reading and writing are tested. The time allotted is 25 minutes.
- Video Interview & Writing Sample – Here, you’ll be asked to respond to a couple of open-ended prompts. While this section is ungraded, your responses will be sent to the institutions that receive your score. (10 minutes).
ADAPTIVE QUESTION PART 1
You can accept these question types in order as well as easier or harder depending on whether your answer/response is correct/incorrect.
Listen to Item Question
- You will hear a short sentence in English. You are supposed to transcribe what you have heard into a box. You can replay the audio twice.
- You have 1-minute time to answer.
- This question type assesses your Listening and Writing skills.
C-Test Item Question (Fill-In missing letters questions)
- You will have a short excerpt in this question. The first sentence will be complete, thereafter, there will be words with missing letters. You are supposed to fill these missing words such that it makes sense.
- You will get 3-minutes to attempt this type of question.
- English syntax through vocabulary spelling recognition is tested.
VOCABULARY SELECTION QUESTION (WRITTEN)
- Some English words and pseudo words are enlisted and you have to click on words that are real English words while leaving others unclicked.
- You have a minute to select words.
- They are testing your English vocabulary knowledge.
VOCABULARY SELECTION QUESTION (AUDIO)
- You will see nine buttons to play nine different words: some of which are real English words, while some of which are not. Your task is to identify the real ones and click them.
- The time limit is 90 seconds.
- Get assessed for English vocabulary knowledge and listening skills.
READING AND SPEAKING ITEM
- For this type of a question, a statement in a quote form with a RECORD NOW at the bottom of a screen. 20 seconds are given to read the statement, then speak the written sentence out loud by clicking at the record now.
- Time limit: 20 Seconds
- They are testing your Reading, Speaking, Pronunciation Skills and Word Stress.
IMAGE IDENTIFICATION QUESTIONS
- You have three seconds to look an image and respond to what it is into the microphone.
- You get 3 seconds to prepare.
- Your assessment for Speaking Skills: pronunciation, stress and intonation of English words is done.
SHORT WRITING RESPONSE
- You will be asked to write a few sentences describing the image shown on the left side.
- You will get 60 seconds per image.
- Testing is done for Speaking Skills: Phonetics and Prosody.
ADAPTIVE QUESTIONS, PART 2
LONG WRITING RESPONSE
- You will be asked to write a prompt of 50-100 words with the allotted time. The difficulty will be consistent with your performance in responses done before this question.
- The time given is 5 minutes.
- This question type checks your vocabulary knowledge, reading and writing skills.
LONG SPEAKING RESPONSE
- You will be given a question with four open response questions to guide your response
- You are given 30 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to respond.
- This question doesn’t test your skill but is meant to provide admissions officers with an opportunity to see your fluency.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN VIDEO INTERVIEW AND WRITING SAMPLE?
This is the last section of the test, where you are provided with two tasks: while being recorded, respond verbally to the topic that you opt-out of two for at least 1 minute, and to write on a topic of your choice in 3-5 minutes. You will have 30 seconds to select and plan on your topic.
NOTE: This part of the Duolingo test is not scored.
How is the DET scored?
The Duolingo English Test measures English language ability using a scale that ranges from 10-160 and is scored in 5 point increments. This scale is broken down into the following main categories: